Skip Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions: Employee Vaccination and Testing Policy

Is vaccination leave available for first and second dose appointments?

Yes. Paid vaccination leave may be taken on the day of the appointment. For appointments on holidays and non-duty days, the vaccination leave will be available for the next duty day. Employees with appointments in the evening will receive a half-day of vaccination leave for that day as well as a full day of vaccination leave for the next duty day. Employees must enter vaccination leave via Oracle Self-Service. For questions regarding vaccination leave, please contact

Is vaccination leave available for booster shots?


When will weekly testing begin?

Free weekly testing will begin Monday, September 13 for all unvaccinated employees at schools and designated central office hub locations. Both rapid and PCR tests will be issued. The test sites will open one hour before school begins. We will provide more information about testing locations, times and protocols closer to the start date.

How should I report for testing?

School-based employees should go to the school health suite. Employees assigned to central office sites should go to designated hub sites. We will provide more information about testing locations, times and protocols closer to the start date.

How will I be notified of a positive test result?

Rapid test results will be available within 15 minutes; PCR test results will be available within 24 hours. 

What happens if an employee does not comply with the weekly testing requirement?

Refusal to comply with weekly testing will be addressed through actions of progressive discipline outlined in the Employee Code of Conduct.

What forms of vaccination proof are acceptable and how should I submit it to my supervisor?

Vaccinated employees may show supervisors a copy of their CDC-issued vaccination card or state-issued immunization record, either in-person or by email, by Friday, August 27. Substitute teachers should email proof to Employee Service Center at Employees who are vaccinated after August 27 should follow these same steps.

How can I obtain a copy of my vaccination card or immunization record?

You may email to request a copy of your vaccination card. Include your name, address, birth date, phone number, and vaccination date and location in the message. You may also visit Guest Services at Prince George’s Sports & Learning Complex in Landover. For your immunization record, you may register online at MyIR Mobile to download a copy. 

Where should I send proof of vaccination?

You only need to provide proof of vaccination (i.e., CDC vaccination card or state-issued immunization record) if contacted directly by your supervisor with a request to do so. If you do not hear from your supervisor, then your vaccination status is known. Please provide the requested documentation to your supervisor by email or in person.

Will weekly testing be available for all employees regardless of vaccination status?

At this time, local health officials do not recommend weekly testing for vaccinated staff due to our universal mask mandate. We will continue to test symptomatic staff regardless of vaccination status.

May I get tested at a non-PGCPS site?

Employees may be tested at non-PGCPS locations if the results will be available by the time you are due to report to work. The test must be conducted within 72 hours of arrival to work.

I already received my first-dose vaccine. Do I need to be tested weekly until my second dose?

Yes. Employees must continue to undergo weekly testing until they are fully vaccinated.

Will students be required to get vaccinated or be tested weekly?

Vaccination requirements for students are established by the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE), not local public school systems. Symptomatic students will continue to be tested according to our health and safety protocols.

I would like to request a medical or religious exemption from the vaccination and testing policy. What should I do?

You may seek a medical exemption from vaccination or testing by submitting a Request for Reasonable Accommodation through the Office of Equity Assurance. You may also seek a religious exemption through the Office of Equity Assurance by submitting a Religious Exemption Request Form. A copy of the PGCPS Religious Exemption Request Form is available for download. All requests may be submitted to