If you need to retake the care and prevention course, please complete the Refresher Course below.
The requirements of the Care and Prevention Refresher Certification include:
Required Courses (all free of charge)
- Maryland State Component
- Concussion in Sports
- Heat Illness Prevention
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest
- One Elective Class from the list below.
Elective Classes (needed 1)
- ACL Prevention
- Sports Nutrition
- Protecting Students from Abuse.
- Understanding Vaping and E-Cigarettes
- Student Mental Health and Suicide Prevention
- Appearance of Performance Enhancing Drugs and Substances
- Bullying, Hazing and Inappropriate Behaviors (PG County coaches must select this course)
- Strength and Conditioning ($)
Upon ordering the Maryland State Component, on the NFHS Dashboard under "My National Certification" the MPSSAA Care and Prevention Refresher State Certification will appear.
This is a MSDE credit bearing course with a set curriculum. More information can be found here: Outline (MPSSAA Handbook, pages 31-33)
The MPSSAA has developed guidelines for those wishing to become Credentialed Coaches.
Information specific to Prince Georges County may be found here.
- Concussion in Sports: is available through a FREE on-line course at the National Federation of High School's website at https://nfhslearn.com/courses/concussion-in-sports-2. Coaches must complete this course prior to their first season, and every two years.
- Heat Illness Prevention: is available through a FREE on-line course at the National Federation of High School's website at https://nfhslearn.com/courses/heat-illness-prevention-2. Coaches are required to complete this course every two years
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest: is available through a FREE on-line course at the National Federation of High School's website at https://nfhslearn.com/courses/sudden-cardiac-arrest.
- Covid-19 for Coaches and Administrators: NFHS has developed a new course to help address issues related to the virus and the challenges for athletics programs.
- Additional Free and Paid Courses are available at https://nfhslearn.com/
Interested in becoming a high school coach? Contact the office of Interscholastic or any high school athletic director for more information.
Care and Prevention Course Registration