Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries Course
Requirement: All athletic coaches must have completed this course within a year from first being employed.
Cost: Courses offered within Prince Georges County are open to all PGCPS coaches and are FREE. Next Course: TBA. Click here to register
Mandatory course for all public school coaches in Maryland. The course will begin at 9:00 a.m. Saturday and Sunday. You must attend both days to receive credit for the course. The course will be held at John E. Howard, 4400 Shell Street Capitol Heights, MD 20743. Please dress to participate in the class and bring a pair of clean white socks on day 2. Registration will close on_____________.
If you need to retake the care and prevention course, please complete the Refresher Course below.
MD State Component Course and Care and Prevention Refresher Certification
The requirements of the Care and Prevention Refresher Certification include:
Required Courses (all free of charge)
- Maryland State Component
- Concussion in Sports
- Heat Illness Prevention
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest
- One Elective Class from the list below.
Elective Classes (needed 1)
- ACL Prevention
- Sports Nutrition
- Protecting Students from Abuse.
- Understanding Vaping and E-Cigarettes
- Student Mental Health and Suicide Prevention
- Appearance of Performance Enhancing Drugs and Substances
- Bullying, Hazing and Inappropriate Behaviors (PG County coaches must select this course)
- Strength and Conditioning ($)
Upon ordering the Maryland State Component, on the NFHS Dashboard under "My National Certification" the MPSSAA Care and Prevention Refresher State Certification will appear.
This is a MSDE credit bearing course with a set curriculum. More information can be found here: Outline (MPSSAA Handbook, pages 31-33)
The MPSSAA has developed guidelines for those wishing to become Credentialed Coaches.
Information specific to Prince Georges County may be found here.
- Concussion in Sports: is available through a FREE on-line course at the National Federation of High School's website athttps://nfhslearn.com/courses/61037. Coaches must complete this course prior to their first season, and every two years.
- Heat Illness Prevention: is available through a FREE on-line course at the National Federation of High School's website at https://nfhslearn.com/courses/34000. Coaches are required to complete this course every two years.
- Sports Nutrition: is available through a FREE on-line course at the National Federation of High School's website at https://nfhslearn.com/courses/55000.
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest: is available through a FREE on-line course at the National Federation of High School's website at https://nfhslearn.com/courses/61032.
- Covid-19 for Coaches and Administrators: NFHS has developed a new course to help address issues related to the virus and the challenges for athletics programs.
- Additional Free and Paid Courses are available at https://nfhslearn.com/
Interested in becoming a high school coach? Contact the office of Interscholastic or any high school athletic director for more information.
Coaches Processing Center - in progress of updating
Care and Prevention Course Registration