Home Schooling is an option for parents who elect to withdraw their child(ren) from the public school system. Students who participate in homeschooling do not have access to any of the educational resources provided to students enrolled in public school. Instead, parents are responsible for providing materials and delivering instruction.
Parents who elect home schooling are legally mandated by the Maryland State Department of Education to “provide regular, thorough instruction in the studies usually taught in the public schools to children of the same age.” Home schooling students do not receive grades, credits or a diploma.
Signed notification forms must be returned within 15 days of creating the parent portal or the student will be deleted from the portal.
Option 1: Notify by Home Schooling Parent Portal
Home Schooling Notification Form- Parent Portal
(Optional- Parent will need to provide an email address to use this option)
Advantages of the Parent Portal
- Automatically generates Home Schooling Notification Form with parent and student information
- Adds family to Home Schooling Office portfolio review scheduling emails and other home schooling informational email communications
- Allows parents to add and update student information in real time
- Allows parent to retrieve the Home Schooling Notification Form and Annual Verification as needed
Parent Portal Guides
The parent portal guides provide step-by-step instructions for using the Home Schooling Parent Portal.
Option 2: Notify by Interactive Form
Interactive Home Schooling Notification Form
- If you created a parent portal, you do not need to complete this form.
- Parent will need to frequently check the Prince George's County Public Schools Home Schooling website for portfolio review schedules and information
- If you choose not to create a parent portal, complete the form in its entirety and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Our physical office is currently closed. Mailed forms cannot be processed at this time. All notification forms must be sent via email to email@example.com.
New to Home Schooling in Prince George’s County?
Notify the Home Schooling Office of your intent to homeschool 15 days prior to beginning home schooling, if any of the following apply:
- You are a Prince George’s County resident
- Your child is currently enrolled in PGCPS, but you want to withdraw the child to home school
- Your child was enrolled in home schooling in another county in Maryland or another state and you now live in Prince George’s County
- Your child will be 5 years old before September 1 of the current school year
Continuing to Home School?
Notify the Home Schooling Office if you are continuing to home school:
- You must be a Prince George’s County resident
- You must have an initial notification form on file with the Home Schooling Office
Change of Status?
Log into your parent portal to update any of the following changes:
- Enrolled in School
- Moved Out of County/State
- Change in Supervision Program
- Completed Home School
- Child has reached the age of 18 and is no longer required to attend school