Student and Family FAQs
Are students affected (is my child affected)?
- PGCPS is currently working to review certain files that may be affected by this incident to identify if they contain sensitive information and to whom it relates.
- PGCPS usernames and passwords (of employees and students) that may have provided access to email and other district applications were accessed.
Is my PGCPS password safe?
- Out of an abundance of caution, PGCPS forced a reset of all passwords, and all students were issued new passwords for the 2023 – 2024 school year.
- Students are required to use new passwords. Your child’s school can assist with the new password and access, as necessary.
How do I keep my passwords secure?
- A password helps you keep your information safe.
- DO NOT share your passwords.
- DO NOT post them in public forums.
How do I keep my information protected?
- DO NOT link your personal accounts to your PGCPS account. For example: your home alarm or social media profile.
- DO NOT access your PGCPS account from a public wi-fi.
- DO NOT use your PGCPS email address to register on sites that aren’t educational.
- Be mindful when clicking on links or opening documents.
- If you are unsure, contact the sender before opening, either by phone or in person. If the link or document prompts you to enter your PGCPS username and password, be extra cautious and report to a school administrator.
What should I do if I suspect my password has been compromised?
- Immediately report the situation to a school administrator
Who is Experian and why am i being directed to them?
- Experian is a third-party vendor assisting PGCPS with the mailing of letters regarding this incident.
- Experian is also providing a dedicated call center to answer questions from individuals regarding the incident.
- You can reach Experian on the dedicated assistance line at 844-254-3173. You can also share engagement number B103670or provide your unique activation number enclosed in the mailed letter.
How do I sign up for credit monitoring?
- To help protect your identity, we are offering complimentary access to Experian IdentityWorksSM for 12 months.
- To start monitoring your minor dependent’s personal information, visit the Experian IdentityWorks website to enroll: https://www.experianidworks.com/minorplus
- Provide your activation code: ABCDEFGHI (found on pg. 3 of letter mailed to you)
- Provide your minor’s information when prompted
- To ensure your questions are answered, call the dedicated assistance line at 844-254-3173,
- Be prepared to provide the engagement number [XXXXXX]
Original and Translated Sample Letters from Experian Credit Monitoring