Skip Navigation

Employee Records and Verification

14201 School Lane, Room 117
Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20772
Phone No.
Fax No.
Reports To:

Contact Information

Employee Records and Verification Contact

About Us

The Records Management and Employee Verification Office maintains and secures all active, terminated and retired employee records with the utmost level of confidentiality, while providing exceptional customer service and support to internal and external offices/agencies. Additionally, the office maintains approximately 20,000 personnel files for permanent, temporary and substitute employees. This office processes all verbal and written employment verification requests, as well as schedules employee file reviews in accordance with local, state and federal records management policies and procedures.


Frequently Asked Questions about Employee's Records

Am I allowed to review my personnel file?
Yes, active employees are allowed to review their personnel file. Please contact us at for more information.

Can anyone review my personnel file?
Yes, human resources staff, Labor Relations staff as well as the school system’s legal representatives are allowed to review your employee records. Your union representative may also review your file if they have a signed authorization letter from you, or if you send an email to authorizing the union to review your file in your absence. 

How long are my files kept after I leave the system?
A hard copy of your file is maintained for four years after your departure from the school system. After four years your file is scanned and archived.

Frequently Asked Questions about Verifications (VOE)

What information does the school system verify?
We verify dates of employment, salary, location, leave, position, years of service, etc.

Who can make a verification request for my information?
Any current or former employee; prospective employers; any company the employee does business with; retirement systems; various federal agencies; and the legal system.

Do you verify employment over the telephone?
Yes, businesses may call 301-952-6373 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. When receiving verbal verification requests, we will only verify information the company has already obtained from the employee.

What is the process for submitting a standard written verification request?
Current or former employees requesting a standard letter of VOE may submit their request, via email, to, fax (301-780-6733) or US Mail to 14201 School Lane, Room 117, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772. In order for your request to be completed in a timely manner, you must include your Employee Identification Number (EIN) and contact number, how and/or where you would like the form returned, fax, US Mail, or email. 

What if I have a verification form from a company that needs to be completed?
If you or a company have a form that needs to be completed, i.e. mortgage, rental, leasing, loss wage, disability claim, social services, housing authority, investigative request for employment (OPM), previous work experience with PGCPS, etc., please fax the form to 301-780-6733 or send to us via US Mail to 14201 School Lane, Room 117, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772. A signed release must accompany all requests.

How long will it take to complete my verification request?
Verifications are processed in the order in which they are received in our office. Please allow a minimum of five to seven business days for completion of all verifications. During our extremely busy season (June-September), please allow ten to twelve business days for completion time. The more information we are provided, the faster our turn-around time. 

How will I know if/when my request is ready for pick up?
If you request to pick-up your completed verification, we will contact you, via telephone, when your request is ready for pickup. The hours for pick up are Tuesday and Thursday from 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. When picking up your verification you must provide us with picture identification. If someone other than you is picking up your completed form, they must have a signed letter of authorization from you and also show picture identification.

Do you keep a copy of my verification, if so, for how long?
We keep copies of completed verifications for 90 days. After the 90 day period, verification documents are shredded.

Where do I send an employment history - child sexual abuse and misconduct (HB486) form for a former PGCPS employee?

Prince George’s County Public Schools (PGCPS), Office of Employee and Labor Relations (ELRO) processes all requests from former employees to complete Child Sexual Abuse and Misconduct employment history forms as required by various states.

For tracking purposes and to ensure that your request is received, all forms should be emailed to  If you have any questions or would like to check on the status of your request, please call the Employee Labor Relations Office at 301-952-6385.   Requests are processed in the order received.