Skip Navigation


1. I am coming from out of state, will the immunization record from my state allow my child to start school?
Immunization requirements sometimes vary from state to state and your child must meet Maryland requirements to attend Prince George's County Public Schools. If you have the record from your previous state, that information will be transferred to a Maryland form by the school nurse and your child may start. If your child does not meet Maryland requirements, you will be given a time frame to meet Maryland requirements. (See question 3.) 

2. What if my child received their first MMR or Varicella prior to their first birthday?
As of November 24, 2005, Code of Maryland Annotated Regulation changed to include the following "....A preschool or school, public or private, may count as valid, vaccine doses administered less than or equal to 4 days before the minimum interval or age." this means that your child is in compliance with the state regulation if he/she received either the first MMR or Varicella no earlier than 4 days before their first birthday. If it was administered earlier than that they must receive another immunization or have a titer drawn that indicates they have immunity to the disease. If the blood titer does not show immunity, the child must then still receive another immunization. 

3. What if my child has had some of the immunizations, but not all, can they start school?
In order to start school a child must have at least one of every type of immunization. If your child has at least one of each, they may begin school as long as the school has proof of an appointment within 20 days of the start of school (or the earliest date the vaccine may be given). This proof of the appointment must be given to the school on or prior to the first day your child starts. If your child requires more immunizations than can be administered at one visit, you must continue to present proof of an appointment for subsequent immunizations. You must present proof of the immunizations to the school the next day after the appointment, or your child will be excluded from school until the school has verification of the immunizations. 

4. What if my doctor is out of the vaccine?
If your doctor is out of the vaccine, you may call the Prince George's County Health Department to make an appointment  for their immunization clinic. Please call the health department at (301) 883-7879 for dates and times. 

5. What if I cannot locate a copy of my child's immunization record?
Your child cannot start school without a record of their immunizations. Your healthcare provider should have a copy of the immunizations your child received. If you cannot obtain a copy from the health care provider, you will need to contact the Prince George's County Health Department, (301) 883-7879, to assist you. The record may be able to be recreated, if you have some form of documentation, or blood titers may be drawn, or your child may need to receive additional immunizations. 

6. Are foreign exchange students required to have proof of immunizations?
Foreign exchange students are required to meet Maryland Immunization requirements. 

7. What if my child has a medical condition which prevents him/her from receiving vaccinations?
If your child has a temporary or permanent condition which prevents him/her from receiving vaccinations, your health care provider must complete the Medical Contraindication portion of the Immunization Record (DHMH 896) with the reason for not receiving the immunization(s). The doctor must indicate if the condition is temporary or permanent. If the condition is temporary, the doctor must include when the child will be able to receive the vaccination. 

8. Immunizations violate our religious beliefs, can my child attend school?
COMAR 10.06.04, Required Immunizations for School Entry, allows parents to claim exemption to immunizing their child on religious grounds. If your child is not immunized, they may be excluded from school if there is an outbreak of a vaccine preventable disease. This decision will be made by the County Health Officer.