Skip Navigation

What is a Section 504 Plan?

Students who meet the eligibility guidelines for Section 504 may have a Section 504 Plan developed. The school based Section 504 team is responsible for evaluating students for Section 504 eligibility and developing a 504 Plan for students who are found eligible and need accommodations in order for them to have equitable educational access as compared to their non-disabled peers. 

The Section 504 plan will specify the nature of the qualifying disability that substantially limits a major life activity or bodily function, the area(s) of substantial limitation, the accommodations necessary to provide access based on the students disability needs and the staff member(s) who are responsible for  implementing the accommodations. 

Accommodations are specific to the student with regard to his/her disability and its substantial limitation on the major life activity or bodily function. 

The 504 Team will review the student’s Section 504 Plan on an annual basis to ensure its effectiveness. A parent may request, at any time, that a plan be reviewed and/or revised as needed. Students are re-evaluated for Section 504 eligibility every three years.

Major Life Activities

Major Life Activities and Bodily Functions include but are not limited to caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, working, sleeping, concentrating, reading, communicating, bending and major bodily functions (immune, digestive, respiratory, circulatory, endocrine, neurological, brain and reproductive systems, bowel and bladder functions, and normal cell growth). PGCPS will adhere to current definitions and eligibility standards under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended by the ADA.

Substantial Limitation

Substantial Limitation is the inability to perform in comparison to a non-disabled peer without the use of mitigating measures, and may include impairments that are episodic or in remission.

If you would like your child evaluated for eligibility under Section 504, contact the Professional School Counselor and request a Section 504 evaluation.