The window for students to apply for PGCPS High School Specialty Programs will be open from October 1, 2022-November 18, 2022. Please click on the link below to access applications:
Application Process for Specialty Programs
For the Aerospace Engineering & Aviation Technology and Science & Technology programs, students will be evaluated on the following criteria
- Prior year grades in core classes (English, Math, Science, Social Studies) from quarters 1, 2, 3, 4 or all three trimesters and first quarter/trimester grades in core classes from the current year are used to determine a Core Content Grade Point Average (GPA).
- Each student's Core Content GPA will be calculated using the following formula:
SY2021 Q1- 20%, Q2- 20%, Q3- 20%, Q4- 20%, SY2022 Q1- 20%
- Scores from the PSAT 8/9 Assessment
Specialty Programs Application Process and PSAT 8/9 Testing
- ALL PGCPS grade 8 students will be considered for both the Science and Technology and Aerospace Engineering and Aviation Technology program. APPLICATIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED FOR THESE TWO PROGRAMS FOR PGCPS GRADE 8 STUDENTS ONLY. 8th grade students currently enrolled in PGCPS DO NOT pay for the PSAT 8/9.
- PGCPS 8th grade students interested in the programs at the Academy of Health Sciences @ Prince George's Community College must submit an application at the proper link below.
- All Non-PGCPS students must submit an application online for the Academy of Health Sciences @ PGCC, Aerospace Engineering & Aviation Technology, and Science & Technology programs at the proper link below.
- All PGCPS 9th graders must submit an application for the Aerospace Engineering & Aviation Technology and Science & Technology programs.
- To learn more details about the PSAT 8/9 administered through College Board (including format, timing, and content), please go to the College Board site at http://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-8-9
- The PSAT 8/9 will be used as part of the entrance criteria for the following Specialty Programs: 3D Scholars, Science and Technology, Academy of Health Sciences @ Prince George's Community College (Health Sciences & Teacher Preparation), and Aerospace Engineering and Aviation Technology.
- Testing will occur for grade 8 students the week of December 5, 2022 at their boundary school.
- College Board regulations state that students may not sit for the PSAT 8/9 more than one time during an academic school year.
- Non-PGCPS students and PGCPS Grade 9 students who take the PSAT 8/9 at their schools between September and November of 2022 must use these scores for their Specialty Programs application.
- Private school, Home School, and PGCPS grade 9 students who submit applications for the aforementioned programs will take the PSAT 8/9 assessment on December 3, 2022. The test location will be announced at a later date.
- Parents that are registering Private school and Home School students for the PSAT 8/9 will receive the registration link once they have successfully completed the registration process through the link.
- Non-PGCPS students and PGCPS 9th grade students testing on December 3, 2022 will pay the $14.32 fee for the PSAT 8/9.
- Notification of eligibility will be sent out to all student applicants during the month of February 2023.
The scores from the PSAT 8/9 in conjunction with Core Content GPA in English, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies from all quarters/trimesters of the previous school year and the first grading period of the current school year are used to create a total score. The evaluation scale goes up to 2880. The equation used to determine student composite scores is as follows:
PSAT 8/9 Verbal Score + PSAT 8/9 Math Score + [Core Content GPA x 360]
Total Possible Score = 2880
Science & Technology Center Locations
There are three Science & Technology centers that service Prince George's County Public School students: Charles H. Flowers High School, Eleanor Roosevelt High School, and Oxon Hill High School. Students accepted for admission will attend one of the Science & Technology Centers based upon their legal home address in Prince George's County.
To Identify the Science and Technology center assignments based on address.
For frequently asked questions regarding admission procedures for Science & Technology, Academy of Health Sciences @ PGCC, or the Aerospace Engineering & Aviation Technology programs, please click the button below.