August 14, 2023
Greetings Bradbury Heights parents and guardians,
On behalf of the entire Bradbury Heights school family, I welcome each of you to the 2023-2024 school year!
This letter contains a great deal of information, so please read thoroughly to the end and save for future reference. As always, if you have any additional questions that have not been addressed in this letter, feel free to contact me via email at email@example.com. All inforation in BOLD BLUE are live links for your convenience.
Please also visit PGCPS Back to School Guide for important information and updates, including immunization information. I’m looking forward to an amazing year of teaching, learning, and ongoing partnerships with our parents, guardians, and school community. Thank you for your continued support!
For the love of children
Dr. Lynnette Walker-Crayton
- The first day of school for students is Monday August 28, 2022
- School hours are from 7:25am - 1:50pm. Students are considered tardy at 7:45am.
- Effective August 15th, PGCPS has returned to a mandatory mask policy in all schools and facilities until further notice.
- The BHES school uniform is:
- Navy blue pants, shorts or jumpers
- Navy, light blue or white polo shirts
- Navy, light blue or black socks
- Close-toed shoes
BHES Digital Learning Tools
- PreK students will utilize iPads for instruction.
- Students in Kindergarten - 5th grades will utilize Chromebooks.
- Our rising Kindergarten/1st grade students will need to turn in the iPad they used last school year in exchange for a Chromebook.
- The device exchange date is Friday, August 25th from 11:00am-1:00pm.
- All students who are newly enrolled at Bradbury Heights and transferred from other Prince George’s County Public schools should bring the device that was assigned to them at the previous school.
- Students who are newly enrolled and transferred from another Maryland school (non-PGCPS) or from out of state will be assigned a PGCPS Chromebook during the first week of school.
- If the device your child received has been damaged, please email Mrs. Andrea Batson at firstname.lastname@example.org. There is a $30 fee per item for all damaged equipment for the first incident of damage. Additional incidents of damage will result in an increased fee for repair or replacement, up to $300. Only money orders or cashier’s checks are taken for repairs or replacement of devices and and should be made payable to PGCPS.
- Link to the grade level school supply list: SY23 Bradbury Heights School Supply List. This document can also be found on our website.
You can find school supply lists for all grades on our School Supply List page.
It is important that our scholars care for their learning tools so they are available for instruction when needed. When students are not using textbooks and learning tools, they should be in a safe place to avoid loss and damage. Parent partners, please help your scholars care for their learning tools and textbooks.
All parents must complete the Free and Reduced Meal Application - 2023. This will determine your child’s eligibility for Free and Reduced Meals for the 2023-2024 school year
Free and Reduced Meal Application
Elementary school students residing one and one-half miles or more from their assigned school are eligible for transportation.
Parents should begin receiving bus notification postcards directly from the PGCPS Transportation Department this week. The postcards will be mailed to the home address that is in SchoolMAX. Please make sure that your home address is correct in
- PreK and Kindergarten students are to be dropped off at their classroom door which is accessible from the stairwell on Glacier Avenue, closest to the soccer field. The gate which leads to the PreK and Kindergarten classrooms will be locked promptly at 7:45am and students arriving after that time will need to enter through the main entrance and get a tardy pass.
- 1st - 5th grade students will enter through the main entrance.
- Students in our CRI and Autism programs will enter through the doors closest to the parking lot where staff are there to greet them and escort them to class.
Pick-ups/Car Riders and Walkers
- 2nd - 5th grade - These students are dismissed first. All 2nd -5th grade students are dismissed from the front of the building and are to either walk directly home or to their parents/guardians’ vehicle.
- 1st Grade - All 1st grade students (except bus riders) are dismissed from the front door upon arrival of their parent/guardian/daycare provider. A staff member will be outside to take the name of the child and the student will be called down and escorted out of the building.
- PreK and Kindergarten - All PreK and Kindergarten students (except bus riders) are to be picked up from their classroom door by their parent/guardian/daycare provider. (The same place PreK and K students are dropped off in the mornings).
- PreK, Kindergarten and 1st grade bus riders are the first group of students to be placed on their assigned buses. These students are escorted to their bus by staff members and/or student safety patrols.
- 2nd - 5th grade bus riders are dismissed from their classrooms when their buses arrive. The bus number is announced over the school intercom system several times. Students are to exit the building and go directly to their assigned bus.
Daycare Van Riders
- Van riders in all grade levels are typically the last students to exit the building. Students are escorted to the van upon the daycare van’s arrival.
If your child is not eligible to ride a PGCPS bus to and from school, please complete Bradbury Heights SY24 Student dismissal/after-school transportation
Google Form to let us know how your child will go home each day.
SY23 Student dismissal/after-school transportation Google Form
- All PGCPS Parents/Guardians are encouraged to sign-up for the PGCPS SchoolMAX Family Portal. If your information has changed, please access the Family Portal to update this very important information. This will ensure you receive district-wide updates from PGCPS. The Family Portal is open now for information updates. To access the PGCPS SchoolMax Family Portal: SchoolMax Family Portal There is additional information and videos in multiple languages on the SchoolMAX Support for Parents and Guardians page.
There are many factors taken into consideration when determining classes. It is a very thorough and thoughtful process. This is why we do not make changes in class lists once they are released. If adjustments to classroom assignments are necessary, this is done on a case by case basis and in collaboration with school administration. The rationale for any movement must be in the best interest of the child and not focused on factors that can be resolved with partnership between the student, parent/guardian, and school.
With our talented teachers and dedicated specialists and administrators, we are certain that learning groups will come together as strong, cohesive classes as the school year unfolds. We ask you to trust in our process and know that opportunities for new friendships and relationships with teachers are ahead.
Classroom assignments will be available via the PGCPS SchoolMAX Family Portal on or around August 18th. To access the PGCPS SchoolMAX Family Portal click here.
Welcome our new staff members!
Please join me in welcoming the following staff members to the Bradbury Heights School Family!
- Brooks, Trondelle - Paraprofessional
- Brown, Mireille - 2nd Grade RELA Teacher
- Clark, Darrell - Art Teacher
- Dunn, Kimberly - Paraprofessional
- Felder, Jamel - Paraprofessional
- Fleming, Denae - Paraprofessional
- Howard, Alexandra - Pre-Kindergarten Teacher
- Peters, Makani - Speech Language Pathologist
- Reeves, Lemontia - Paraprofessional
- Riddick, Danyelle - Paraprofessional
- Specht, Kevin - Instrumental Music Teacher
- St. Clair, Thomas - Paraprofessional
- Torres, Rufina - Paraprofessional
- Turner, Demetrius - 5th Grade Math Teacher
- Turner, Joy - Children's Guild Mental Health Therapist
The success of our school depends deeply on the relationship between home and school and we invite you to join our Parent Teacher Organization, otherwise known as the PTO Squad! For more information on PTO, please reach out to our PTO President, Mrs. Jay Howard-Brock at email@example.com.
Parents To Do List
- Register for PreK and/or Kindergarten Orientations and the 1st-5th grade Sneak-A-Peek. Date - Friday August 25th from 8:30 am - 11:00 am.
- Pre-Kindergarten Orientation 8:30am - 9:30am
- Kindergarten Orientation: 9:45am - 10:45am
- 1st - 5th grade Sneak-A-Peek 11:00am -12:00pm
- FYI - Students and parents will have a chance to quickly see their classrooms and briefly meet their teacher(s). Conferences with the teachers will not be held at this time.
- If your contact information has changed, please update SchoolMax! Click here to update contact information in SchoolMax!
- Check SchoolMax for your scholar’s classroom assignment on or after August 18th.
- Complete the Bradbury Heights SY24 Student dismissal/after-school
transportation Google Form