PGCPS SY23-24 Student Transfer Second Window: July 10 - August 4, 2023
In the second transfer window, PGCPS will accept student transfer requests for the 2023-24 school year from Monday, July 10 (9 a.m.) through Friday, August 4 (11:59 p.m.). Parents and guardians of current PGCPS students must submit transfer requests electronically through the SchoolMax Family Portal. Portal access is limited to parents and legal guardians with an active SchoolMax Family Portal account (username and password). A list of schools currently accepting transfers is below.
Parents or legal guardians of students who are not currently enrolled but have a PGCPS student identification number can request a transfer form by emailing Student.Transfers@pgcps.org or contacting the office at 301-567-8751.
Student identification numbers are issued at the neighborhood school. Guidance on how to obtain a student identification number can be found at https://pgcpsmdc.scriborder.com/family. A birth certificate, photo identification and proof of residency is required.
Every effort will be made to notify parents of decisions prior to June 30, 2023. The Office of Student Records, Transfer and Archival Services (OSRTAS) can not be held responsible for providing student transfer decision letters if the mailing address has has not been updated in the Student Information System (SIS) SchoolMax. Parents and legal guardians are responsible for ensuring residence addresses and/or email addresses are captured accurately in SchoolMax
Student Transfer Requests Frequently Asked Questions
What You Need to Know
- Parents/legal guardians are limited to one request annually. If a student transfer request was submitted during the first window, parents will not be able to submit another during the second window.
- Parents should not withdraw their children from the current school of enrollment unless a decision letter has been issued granting approval to the new school.
- A Student Identification Number is needed in order to process a transfer.
- Current parents/legal guardians must submit transfer requests through the SchoolMax Family Portal. Make sure current addresses and emails are updated in SchoolMax for notifications.
- Transfer requests to schools with enrollment that exceeds state-rated capacity, specialty schools (including lottery) or private schools will not be considered. View the list of current available schools.
- Bus transportation is not provided for transfer students.
- Elementary Schools and Early Childhood Centers may not accept out-of-boundary students into their full-day prekindergarten programs, which are intended for in-boundary students only. Families may request a school transfer when their child is kindergarten-age-eligible.
Exception to the Student Transfer Deadline(s)
Transfer requests may be submitted outside of the transfer season only for the following reasons:
- Families who moved into Prince George's County after the transfer season ended.
- Families with students with health issues. Documentation of the health condition must be verified by a PGCPS health professional. The required form must be completed by licensed health practitioner.
- Students who will be enrolled in the terminal grade (the highest grade level) for SY2023- SY2024 and move to a new neighborhood can request a student transfer to remain through the end of the year.
- SY24 terminal grade students impacted by boundary changes were notified by Pupil Accounting and School Boundaries. Inquires can be emailed to email@example.com.
How to Submit a Transfer Request – Currently Enrolled Students
- Set up a SchoolMax Parent Portal user account
- Students approved to attend an out-of-boundary school must remain enrolled at the current school until the SchoolMax re-opens in early July.
How to Submit a Transfer Request – New Students ONLY
- Register online or request a Student Identification Number at https:/.pgcpsmdc.scriborder.com/family.
- Please email OSRTAS at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on how to request a student transfer. Your student must be a resident of Prince George’s County and assigned a Student Identification Number prior to contacting the ORTAS.