The Surrattsville School was established on a county knoll, at what today is the intersection of Route 381 and Surratts Road. It was built shortly after the War between the States and most appropriately, the school colors were blue and grey. The school took the name of the community which was in the election district of Prince George's County named from the Surratt family. Mrs. Mary Surratt who was victimized and paid with her life in the hysteria following President Lincoln's assassination was from this family. The Board of Education minutes of August 14, 1906 read as follows: "ordered that Surrattsville School be hereafter run as a district high school and primary school combined at an additional cost not to exceed $400 per annum." Thus, the second high school in Prince George's County was authorized for the sum of $400. However, physical property needs of 1906 dictated a large shelter for 10 horses and buggies; two enlarged outhouses with extra accommodations; a new pump and well; and an increase in the campus to allow baseball to be played.
9/25/1906 - Mr. Eugene Burroughs was appointed Principal at a salary of $500, raised to $800 in 1908. Mr. Burroughs became the Superintendent of Schools in 1914.
5/5/1914 - After Mr. Burroughs became the Superintendent, Mr. F. B. Gwynn was made Principal. Mr. Gwynn became the Superintendent of Schools in Chalres County in 1921.
8/16/1917 - Mr. J. A. Carrico was placed "at head of the elementary school"
9/25/1906 - Board ordered that "manual training" be taught.
1/21/1907 - Board ordered that "principal be allowed to establish a military organization at Surrattsville High School".
9/24/1907 - Board ordered that French be taught.
7/21/1908 - Board authorized a "Commercial Department".
10/5/1915 - Board ordered "Commercial to be dropped and that domestic science and agriculture be emphasized".
3/21/1909 - Board ordered that a building committee of six people be appointed for the Surrattsville area.
7/11/1919 - Special meeting of the Board at Surrattsville to accept the building. THe old building sold at auction for $200.
9/2/1910 - Ordered that floors for Surrattsville High be oiled.
1/27/1911 - Ordered that $69.45 raised by pupils be used to grade the school grounds.
1/11/1927 - Board recommended a bond issue for an assembly hall. Part of the money was marked for inside plumbing and sanitary facilities.
This one building continued to serve the elementary grades of school for this area until after World War II when separate facilities were built for elementary, junior and senior high students.
"In 1869 it was a small white frame building with adjoining stable and outside plumbing fixtures. In 1907, on June 3rd, Surratts had its first graduate, Blanche Teresa Hurtt. In 1917 a new two story frame structure was built. In 1919 the old school building was sold. In 1948 two rooms were added to the two story frame. In 1952 a new annex building, containing a modern cafeteria, multi-purpose room, gymnasium, home economics facilities, science lab and six classrooms, was added.
School Colors: 1907: blue and gray; 1929: blue and gold; 1944: maroon and gold; 1950: green and white. Yearbooks: 1929: The Blue and Gold; 1938: The Shield; 1944: Salmagundi (Spanish for mixture of things); 1946 - Present: The Boomerang.
Alma Mater: written by Rosa Ferris in 1951.