When it snows or the roads are icy, the best advice is to listen to the radio or watch the television news for notification of school closings or delays.
The Superintendent generally makes decision concerning early morning school closings or delayed openings prior to 5 a.m.
An announcement is then provided to 38 radio stations and eight (8) television stations in the Washington metropolitan area. The goal is to contact the stations in time for early morning broadcasts that begin between 5 and 6 a.m.
This information may also be accessed on the school system's web page. After 6 a.m., staff and parents can also access the school system's Voice Mail Bulletin Board by calling 301-952-6000. Wait for the opening message, and then press the number 1.
Watch PGCPS TV on Comcast Channel 96 or Verizon FIOS Channel 38
NOTE: When schools are closed early or all day, all evening activities are cancelled, and school buildings are not available for after-school activities by other private or public organizations. When schools have a two-hour delayed opening time, all half-day programs are cancelled.
When it becomes necessary to cancel the opening of schools and/or Central and Regional Offices, or close early due to either inclement weather or other emergencies, the following announcement will be made to area radio and television stations:
“Prince George’s County Public Schools are closed. A Code _______ is in effect for all employees.”
1. Code Orange - Schools and offices will open with a two hour delay. EMERGENCY PERSONNEL must report to work on time and are not eligible for liberal leave
2. Code Green – Schools are closed. All 12-month employees are to report on time.
3. Code Blue – Schools are closed. Central and Regional Offices will open two hours late. All 12-month personnel are expected to report. A Liberal Leave policy will be in effect for non-emergency personnel. Liberal Leave means that employees may elect to use annual leave, or leave without pay if no annual leave balance is available, without advance approval from their leave granting authority. However, employees electing to use Liberal Leave must notify their leave granting authority that they intend to do so for that day. EMERGENCY PERSONNEL must report to work on time and are not eligible for Liberal Leave.
4. Code Yellow – Schools are closed. All Offices are closed. EMERGENCY PERSONNEL only must report to work.
5. Code Red – The school system is closed for all personnel.
DELAYED OPENING - Start of school two hours later than the usual time.
If it is necessary to delay the opening of school because of inclement weather, dangerous road conditions, or any other emergency which might arise, an announcement will be broadcast over radio stations before 6:30 a.m., Channel 96 and other television stations, and posted on the school system’s web page
Two Hour Delay - Schools will begin two hours later than normal.
A delayed opening has no effect on dismissal time unless announced
Early Closing for Inclement Weather, Emergencies and other problems- Dismissal of schools prior to the regular closing time